So far, iOS 5.1.1 can be untethered jailbroken almost on all devices with Absinthe or Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether. At the same time, the famous jailbreak tool Sn0wbreeze also be updated to version 2.9.5 to support iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze, it has a reason to exist even though there are such perfect jailbreak tool. Sn0wbreeze just like PwnageTool, with it you can create custom firmware using iOS 5.1.1 IPSW to jailbreak iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Custom firmware not only jailbreaks your iDevice, it also preserves your iPhone baseband to its current version which lets iPhone unlockers to use UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM. So, jailbreak with custom firmware is recommended for those iPhone users who depend on UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM unlock.
What is New In Sn0wbreeze v2.9.5?
- Added 5.1.1/9B208 untether payload for the iPhone 4 GSM.
- Added iPhone 3GS (iPad Baseband users) location services fix.
As stated many times in the past, sn0wbreeze cannot be updated to work on A5(X) devices until a low level exploit in DFU or iBoot is found and made public. Therefore, A5(X) users will have to rely on using the lovely absinthe.
A5(X) Baseband Preservation/Hacktivation?
For those running A5(X) devices and need to preserve your baseband, there is nothing you can do at the moment. For those wanting to hacktivate, the only advice I can give is to buy the carrier’s SIM (the one its locked to obviously) on ebay. The SIM does not have to be active with the carrier to activate the phone.
Report any issues to iH8sn0w via Email (iH8sn0w@iH8sn0w.com) or Twitter (@iH8sn0w)
Sn0wbreeze is available for Windows only. You can download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 and iOS 5.1.1 firmware from here:
- If your iPhone does NOT depend on UltraSn0w/Gevey SIM unlock, Absinthe 2.0.4 is the recommended iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak for you:
- How to: jailbreak iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS 5.1.1 with Absinthe 2
- iPad/iPod Touch users: Absinthe is the easier solution for you guys, the jailbreak steps almost same with above.
- Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 does NOT support iPhone 4S, New iPad 3, and iPad 2.
How to use Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 to create custom 5.1.1 firmware for jailbreaking.
Step 1: Download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.5 and iOS 5.1.1 iPSW.
Step 2: Extract the downloaded sn0wbreeze-v2.9.5.zip and execute the sn0wbreeze-v2.9.5.exe;
Click OK button -> Next Arrow button -> Browse for an IPSW -> Browse and select the downloaded iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file for your iDevice;
Step 3: Click the Arrow to continue -> select Expert Mode -> Select General and hit Next Arrow button -> Check mark Activate the iPhone [Hactivate] only if you do NOT have the official carrier SIM card -> Click Next and then again hit next;
Step 4: Select Build IPSW and hit the Next Arrow; Sn0wbreeze will start building the custom iOS 5.1.1.
Upon completion, Done! message will appear on Sn0wbreeze and a custom IPSW will be created on your desktop.
Step 5: By clicking the Ok button, Sn0wbreeze will instruct you to put your iPhone, iPad or iPad Touch into Pwned DFU Mode.
*This step is important*
Click the Start button and follow the on screen Sn0wBreeze instructions *important* to put your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch into Pwned DFU state NOT the simple DFU mode.
- Hold Power + Home buttons for 10 seconds
- Now release the Power button but keep holding the Home button for 10-30 more seconds
Sn0wBreeze will prompt you once you’re into Pwned DFU state. Your device should now be in Pwned DFU mode.
- Now open iTunes, Hold down the Shift/Option key and hit the Restore button.
- Browse and select the custom firmware that we just created, from the desktop.
iTunes will start restoring custom iOS 5.1.1 on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Once done, your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch will be running iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken untethered.